Sunday, July 7, 2013

NES Box, Revisited

One of the issues I am correcting going forward is not skipping around everything that I do around here.  When Daniel and I made the NES Box we really did a lot of work and did not post anything close to what we did.  While a lot of the step by step is lost to the anals of time (I know that's spelled wrong :) I did come across some pictures of the process.  So let's step in the old time machine and go way back to 2011....






 The pictures below are what we started with.  This was the original NES we got back in Christmas of 1987, and it was decorated with the destruction of childhood.  Apparently we liked stickers.  And scratching the shit out of the case.
























The first step was to clean up the case by removing the stickers and sanding down the outside with very fine sandpaper.  Dremeling out the raised bottom was next, as we needed every centimeter we could get.


 
 





We had our motherboard (Mini-ITX) and we had our case, but how to combine the two?  Easy!  Suspend it like a bat(man).  Actually no Batman, just suspended like a bat.














 
Once we received the USB boards from Retrousb soldering the existing NES ports was a piece of cake.  I even did one myself, being the one and only thing I have ever soldered.  ROB also makes a cameo as he really wanted to be included in the process, even though all he did was drink and criticize the entire time...

















 Hard drive in a cartridge.  In retrospect I regret using the gold cart but what's done is done.
























Field testing the parts, making sure it work's BEFORE it's in the case.
























Assembling the beast, with a Pico power supply. HDMI & power cable being ran from the mobo to the back.  When I say this thing JUST fit I do not exaggerate, I am really surprised it actually worked.




















And the finished product!






Of course having more experience now we could do it much better (news of tat may be coming soon right here) but as of this date it is still running great and is a great hit at our parties, having found a semi permanent home in the garage at the tiki bar, with people sitting and playing at the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment